Wednesday 1 June 2011

"You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry ..."

The 2011 World Series of Poker (WSOP) is only 12 hours old, but already there's been some huge news to have come out of Sin City, with Phil Ivey having announced that he is not playing in this year's series and will be suing Full Tilt Poker.

Yes, you read that right. Phil Ivey is NOT playing in this year's WSOP.

I can't even begin to tell you how much of a big deal this is. This is the Tiger Woods of Poker we're talking about. The eight-time WSOP bracelet winner, WPT champion and without a doubt the most popular player on the face of the planet and poster child for what was formerly one of the largest online poker sites in the world.

Now, with all the fallout from Black Friday, it seems that Phil Ivey has had enough of Full Tilt delaying the process of refunding its money to its players. And when Phil Ivey speaks, the world listens.

Here's the official statement from his website:

For many years, I have been proud to call myself a poker player. This great sport has taken me to places I only imagined going and I have been blessed with much success. It is therefore with deep regret that I believe I am compelled to release the following statement.

I am deeply disappointed and embarrassed that Full Tilt players have not been paid money they are owed. I am equally embarrassed that as a result many players cannot compete in tournaments and have suffered economic harm. I am not playing in the World Series of Poker as I do not believe it is fair that I compete when others cannot. I am doing everything I can to seek a solution to the problem as quickly as possible.

My name and reputation have been dragged through the mud, through the inactivity and indecision of others and on behalf of all poker players I refuse to remain silent any longer. I have electronically filed a lawsuit against Tiltware related to the unsettled player accounts. As I am sure the public can imagine, this was not an easy decision for me.

I whole heartedly refuse to accept non-action as to repayment of players funds and I am angered that people who have supported me throughout my career have been treated so poorly.

I sincerely hope this statement will ignite those capable of resolving the problems into immediate action and would like to clarify that until a solution is reached that cements the security of all players, both US and International, I will, as I have for the last six weeks, dedicate the entirety of my time and efforts to finding a solution for those who have been wronged by the painfully slow process of repayment.


The fallout was instantaneous – the Two Plus Two forums are being inundated and the World Series of Pai Gow at the Gold Coast has been put on hold as the bloggers belt out their two cents' worth. I myself was planning to put up my very first post on my Vegas experiences thus far, but clearly, this is not the time.

Mind you, Ivey had apparently been out of action from the tables in Bobby’s Room for some time now and naturally was amongst the millions of Americans shut out from online poker once the DOJ came in and crashed the party.



Let's be clear about one thing - when Ivey comes out and says something about this, you know you can take it as gospel. When it comes to poker (or gambling in general), Ivey means business - and like anybody, he will do as much as he can to protect himself and his interests. It's by no means an arrogant move - if you've been following him over the years, you know that Ivey is not quick to get out and sign autographs for fans or pay lip service to the media (both poker and mainstream).

As a result, Ivey has built a reputation of being a puzzle wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma. The world knows it and they love it. All they want, all they need, is to see Phil Ivey play poker. They know that all Ivey wants to do is play poker. That's the way it was for him before the Moneymaker effect, and he has worked hard to keep it that way ever since.

So for him to say that he's not playing is a big deal. Because like everyone else, he wants to secure the future of the game for its players. He wants to ensure that Full Tilt, a company that he has been a big part of since its inception in 2004, pays its dues. And rest assured, if Phil Ivey is leading the charge against Full Tilt, thousands - and we're talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions - of people will stand beside him.

And they know that once everything finally gets sorted out (which for all we know could take years), he'll will be back at the WSOP next year. So don't be angry or upset - rejoice, because if there was ever a time that the poker world needed someone to speak out, it's right now - and we couldn't have found a better voice than Phil Ivey.

2 comments: